Saturday, October 2, 2021

Philippians 4:10-19: Generosity and Contentment

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:10-19

Generosity can come from two sources: either you feel like you have enough or you feel like you must appear like you have enough. One is born out of trust and the other out of fear. In 1 Timothy, Paul said, But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that, Food and clothing are a long way from what my minimums would be. Why could Paul be content? Because he knew that God would provide. There was a patience in knowing that God had plans already in motion that would take care of him. God's people were already concerned. Epaphroditus was on his way. Knowing that God already had things in hand allowed Paul to live with the minimum in patience.

I find I am not content often. I am waiting for the next thing to happen. The next paycheck to appear in my bank account. The next meeting to further the agenda. If they don't happen, I grow anxious, short tempered, and I can't focus. What would contentment look like for me? Maybe lower blood pressure, a continued acknowledgement to God that I trust that he has things in hand, a recounting of the number of times that he has proved faithful to give me strength in the past. Paul knew this isn't automatic, which is why 4 verses before these he wrote Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. So I will pray and, in turn, be generous for the right reasons: out of God-given contentment based on my trust in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment