Wednesday, October 6, 2021

1 Samuel 2:27-36: More Than Me

Now a man of God came to Eli and said to him, “This is what the Lord says: ‘Did I not clearly reveal myself to your ancestor’s family when they were in Egypt under Pharaoh? I chose your ancestor out of all the tribes of Israel to be my priest, to go up to my altar, to burn incense, and to wear an ephod in my presence. I also gave your ancestor’s family all the food offerings presented by the Israelites. Why do you scorn my sacrifice and offering that I prescribed for my dwelling? Why do you honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choice parts of every offering made by my people Israel?’

“Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.’ But now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. The time is coming when I will cut short your strength and the strength of your priestly house, so that no one in it will reach old age, and you will see distress in my dwelling. Although good will be done to Israel, no one in your family line will ever reach old age. Every one of you that I do not cut off from serving at my altar I will spare only to destroy your sight and sap your strength, and all your descendants will die in the prime of life.

“‘And what happens to your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, will be a sign to you—they will both die on the same day. I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who will do according to what is in my heart and mind. I will firmly establish his priestly house, and they will minister before my anointed one always. Then everyone left in your family line will come and bow down before him for a piece of silver and a loaf of bread and plead, “Appoint me to some priestly office so I can have food to eat.”’” - 1 Samuel 2:27-36

There is one main point here: "Why do you honor your sons more than me." The priestly office had become a way for Eli's children to live well. "Eli's sons were scoundrels." Eli knew it was wrong. He told them their behavior was "wicked" However, he did not stop them and, in fact, he enjoyed the perks that came from their bad behavior. Maybe Eli was complacent because of God's promise to him that "members of your family would minister before [him] forever." Maybe it was too much effort to rebuke them time after time or to expose his family to public shame by removing them from priestly duties. Whatever the reason, he did not and God chose the not-son-Samuel-to be the next priest while removing the two sons.

There are a lot of things that can take God's place in our hearts and our children are one of them. We value them so highly and our self-worth is tied to their success. It is easy to excuse their faults, overlook their excesses and even cover for their lacks. I think this is why Jesus said If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-yes, even their own life-such a person cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26) It was a problem for Abraham, which was why God asked him if we was willing to sacrifice Isaac even though he was the promised heir. It was a problem for Leah and her envy of her sister Rebekah. We invest so much in our children-after we should love our children-that they can take unsupportable importance in our lives. Would God say of me, "Why do you honor your children more than me?" Because of that God took drastic action to remove them and replace them (and their father) in his plan for Israel. I pray that I will not allow my children that place of honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment