Thursday, October 7, 2021

2 Timothy 2:1-13: Soldier, Athlete, Farmer

You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.

Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself. - 2 Timothy 2:1-13

Timothy obviously needed some encouragement and, in writing this letter which would be read by at least the elders of the church where he was working, they were also being informed to encourage Timothy in what was apparently a difficult and contentious ministry assignment.

There were some real temptations in these kind of pressure cooker situations. You can get distracted, like a soldier who forgets his commanders orders to get involved in some sort of side gig. You can cheat, like an athlete that tries to take the easy way by not competing according to the rules. You can give up early, like the farmer who gives up the hard work before the crops are ready.  I recognize these temptations in my own life. 

Really the theme of these verses is: there is no failure, only lack of perseverance. "God's word is not chained, therefore..." Even in the midst of the worst situation for him personally, he is not worried about his own failure but rather insists that he will continue on, using Jesus as his example. 

The goal is always about other people. What Paul had found-how God was rescuing and changing people-was worth it. One of the reasons he could carry on was he was doing it for the right reasons. Not to satisfy my pride (whatever excuse I may give publicly). Not to appear holy or smart or competent or well read or even to appear caring and considerate or even to appear sacrificial in our giving and life stress. Selfishness can spoil even the most beautiful truths,  like the gospel.

Have I found the right goal, even if it isn't grand? Is it really about other people or a subtle way of redirecting focus back on myself. And, if I have the right goal, am I willing to persevere up to the point of my own failure? 

No comments:

Post a Comment