Wednesday, March 3, 2010

1 Corinthians 10:13: Paralysis

As I was reading the verse we are memorizing for the Men's group at Cornerstone, I realized that there are two active forces in that verse and I wasn't one of them:
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. - 1 Cor. 10:13
The temptation is active. It is seizing. It is pressuring (what you can bear, under it).

God is active. He is faithful. He restrains temptation. He provides escape.

But I have not yet acted. This verse pauses on the edge of a choice. I don't or I do. I succumb or I escape.

Like every story, there is nothing new in this drama. Sin is an old, old story. Each day desire batters away at our defences; comfort chips away at our resolve; fear drains our will to move and change. But God is faithful. Sin's reach is limited. Sin's power caged. The problem is not sin's ability anymore but our own desire to escape.

Will you flee towards God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment