Monday, March 8, 2010

Follow Up on "Lest We Forget"

So right after I post on making teaching memorable, I really struggled in teaching the parable of the "Workers in the Vineyards" (Matt. 20:1-16) The basics of the story are easy. A clock, 20 eager K-2nd graders, and some Monopoly money made the story visible, physical and interactive. But the application. Working in the idea of envy, especially "spiritual" envy was tough and I didn't give it enough time, prayer and thought. Took a nap instead. Looking back, I know it means that I don't know the story well enough yet (per my own axiom). And, perhaps I am too content to rest on my ability to wing it.

The most profound thing said last night during that time was from Addie, a little girl I asked to pray. Though maybe few heard her, I did. She prayed eloquently for the protection of the children of Haiti and that Satan be restrained from them.  That stuck in my mind.

Next week, I'll teach the parable of the tares and the wheat. Any ideas for getting the application across?

No comments:

Post a Comment