Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hebrews 12:27: "We Are Receiving A Kingdom That Cannot Be Shaken"

Big ventures collapse either because (a) the external forces arrayed against them are too powerful or (b) internal weaknesses sabotage their ability to function. Churches have been demolished, believers have been killed, missionaries expelled and the faith ridiculed. But just as often, followers of Jesus have been the worst enemy to the cause of Christ when, through in-fighting and the collapse of self-control, they inadvertently open the door for the devil.

 
The author of Hebrews confronts both of these issues in the church and God's people the 12th chapter: 
  1. "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons." (Heb. 12:7) Pain without purpose is punishment. But pain with purpose and love is discipline, a tool used by God to sculpt our character. While the world tries to dismantle our lives by overwhelming us, God can take those same attacks and transform them into a means for inspired living.
  2. "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Heb. 12:14) Sin and strife lead to self-destruct, for an individual and the communities to which he or she belongs.

I am not good with pain. The last time I had to endure any significant pain, I was fainting in the car on the way to the hospital. If given my choice, I would choose immaturity. But God is more interested in my character than my comfort. The truth I say I believe must be lived out to be real. So God will shake me, as he has promised to with the world at large, so that the temporary crumbles only the eternal reamins.
The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. - Heb. 12:27
So I commit to pushing on through, not because it is the way I want to go, but because I know who waits for me on the other side: "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (vs. 3)
 
Paul Baloche sets this idea beautifully to music in his song "Shaken", which he discusses here and which you can listen to here.

No comments:

Post a Comment