Friday, April 20, 2018

Psalm 145:15-16: All The Things Which Had To Go Right

The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. - Psalm 145:15-16
I was marveling at how many things had to go right in order for my morning to work out. When I say "my morning" I usually am referring to the time period from 5:30 am, when I wake up, until about 9:00 am, when I head into work. Since I usually get the breakfast going, I'm first awake in the house, turning on the lights, heater, and coffee maker, then opening the blinds and setting out our morning medications. Then I start breakfast.

Breakfast was nothing special: a smoothie. But it contained an a startling number of pieces. There were pineapple chunks from the Philippines in a can made in Mexico. Yogurt, milk and honey produced in northern California. Mangoes from Mexico. Bananas from the Dominican Republic. Each of these were grown by people, packed by people, shipped by people, distributed by people, trucked by people, stocked by people and, eventually, sold by people to me.

These are all thrown into a blender with a similar story. In all, thousands of people touched these foods and components and cartons and containers of cartons before they reached me. Just so I could push a button, whir the ingredients around for 30 seconds and pour a refreshing morning meal.

Once my youngest has descended and imbibed this invigorating elixir, it's off to the bus stop where she gets on a bus. A bus. Driven by a lady who waves at my wife when she sees us out walking. Maintained by a few hardworking guys at the school bus yard. Built and customized by a team from hundreds of components provide by other companies, each with their own work force.

That's just breakfast and the bus. Think of how many things had to go right just for me to have a normal morning. There is a grace in that-the sustaining, providential (or common) grace of God which allows us to live and work. These verses from Psalm 145 actually simplify the incredibly complex processes through which God works to even give us the simplest of good things, such as our food.
Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. - Matthew 6:8
Consider what this simple verse means when coupled with our Lord's prayer, "Give us this day our daily bread." Not only did he know our need before we prayed, but had to have kicked off his answer days, months or years before we asked so that, at the right time, he could give it to us.

So spend a moment today and thank God for all of the things which had to go right.

No comments:

Post a Comment