Friday, June 27, 2014

How Then Should I Search?

One of my favorite verses in the Old Testament is from Habakkuk 3:
Lord, I have heard of your fame;
    I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord.
Repeat them in our day,
    in our time make them known;
    in wrath remember mercy.
There are times when entropy seems to have taken hold of my world and, valiantly as I struggle, things fall apart. Oh, I run to fix them up, hold them together, and patch them with duct tape and the measure of the grace of God given me. But these days produce in me a deep longing for things to go right, for once! Many of my prayers have centered around this.

Worse is the creeping fear that Jesus has passed by and I didn't notice. Maybe I didn't notice because I'm just not smart enough. Or maybe I didn't want to notice.

The first one, I understand because I am continually discovering how ignorant I am and scrambling to recover. That's my job. Sheesh, that's my marriage. That's my life in the kingdom of God. So I search intently for evidence of God's movement (1 Peter 1:10-12). That is a disciple--an apprentice.

The second one is more subtle. Jesus told a story about people like us (Luke 14:15-24) who were too busy to go to the huge party, probably a wedding. They'd just purchased a new field, a new set of 5 oxen or they'd just gotten married themselves (cf. Deut. 24:5 and what it implies) and couldn't be bothered to celebrate. For us today, perhaps this might be a new business, a new car or a new relationship. They all are saying, in essence, "I'm in the middle of the good life. Don't bother me with what God is doing." We didn't miss God. We traded him away.

So I pray for God to show his power in my day, because I'm tired. But I also pray that I am ready to see, participate and celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment