Thursday, September 26, 2024

Haiku: August 23 - September 26

Morning temple walk
Student rushes out to school
Old woman limps in

Wandering at 4
Dark hides jogging and walking
Many surprises

Try to sleep longer
Wakefulness can't be denied
The sun is rising

Strange birds call above
Asking questions back and forth
Strange topics resound

Trains trundle onwards
Carry me home and away
Each direction new

Palm trees on bay shore 
Asphalt lots, old boats, parked cars
Background of sea blue

Old couple waits for trains
That carry their children home
Enjoying the sun

My mind is racing
My heart is already speeding
As if God forgot

Turtle in a box
Hands held out to give a gift
Eyes look to the side

Wake with a tight jaw
Chat seems unspoken presence
Pray asking to ease

It is not clear why
Suddenly I am awake
Unfinished dreams lost

Shadows falling longer
Striped across the patio
Illumination

Turn your smile on me
Let me see I have your favor
At least not anger

Down into the bones
Where peace must be to be real.
Not a cup of tea.

Summer and winter
Spring and fall, cycling again
Gray hair testifies.

The frown on you face
A look of concentration
Or maybe anger.

Wind pushes shadows 
Back and forth in my windows.
Squirrel dropping nuts

Walking in the dark
Mind racing, can't go to sleep.
Time to start praying.

See flickering lights.
Wonder if house will burn down.
Or just sleepless nights.

The call of the jays. 
The hummingbirds buzz and swoop.
Silence fills the gaps.

Chicken is waiting.
Follows me to and then from.
Always suspicious.

Helen is waiting. 
Making her offer and then 
Sitting beside me.

Paying lies with lies.
A poor substitute for truth
Costs are just deferred.

The shadow has moved.
A little from other mornings.
Orioles remain.

My mind is still blank
Til the thoughts come creeping in.
Like little spiders.

Enough wind stirs leaves.
Cool breath over the valley.
So I can breathe also.

Time is marching on.
Through days and changing seasons.
And I am older too.

Blooms have five petals.
And blackberries have five leaves.
Why does this have three?

To miss God's glory--
Acts of selective blindness
To miss my neighbor.

Go plunging headlong
To the end of a sentence
And forget the start.

Dog in a backyard
Walking path between houses.
Nothing but blue sky.

He's always working
At his work until this day
I too am working.

No meeting today.
They're busy celebrating.
For the holiday.

Dreaming of resting. 
Days without worry or doubt.
Would I just be bored?

Chilly air outside.
Early morning bids me welcome.
Coffee is waiting.

Disquieting noise.
Skitterings in the attic.
Mice are not my friends.

Falling on the roof.
Squirrels scamper back and forth.
Dropping fruits on us.

A pile of feathers. 
No gold running past my eyes.
Or demands for food.

The coop is silent.
No flutter of gold is seen.
She wanders elsewhere.

Waiting for the bus.
At night is sometimes lonely.
Or even scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment