Saturday, December 30, 2023

Galatians 4:4-7: Mighty Unfair to Jesus

But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir. - Galatians 4:4-7

 "Because you are his sons...God has made you also an heir." That's pretty dang generous. I get the same status as Jesus, the same Spirit as Jesus and the same inheritance as Jesus. It seems unfair. Unfair to Jesus. Sure, he gets "the name above all names" and the "preeminence" but all of the practical benefits of being a child of God are mine now as well. He had to give up heaven and struggle and suffer and die. I had to get up this morning. Net result, I get all of the same things as Jesus even when I wasn't nearly as good as Jesus. That's unfair. But really, that's why he is a better person than me, because he doesn't feel the regret. I want to get to that state, where I don't count the cost of what I give away, but only the benefit received.

No comments:

Post a Comment