Thursday, October 5, 2023

Psalm 78:1-4, 12-16: Telling the Story, God Gets the Credit

My people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth with a parable; I will utter hidden things, things from of old—things we have heard and known, things our ancestors have told us. We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.

He did miracles in the sight of their ancestors in the land of Egypt, in the region of Zoan. He divided the sea and led them through; he made the water stand up like a wall. He guided them with the cloud by day and with light from the fire all night. He split the rocks in the wilderness and gave them water as abundant as the seas; he brought streams out of a rocky crag and made water flow down like rivers. - Psalm 78:1-4, 12-16

Story telling is an important part of who we are. So many of my conversations with my kids are "just so" stories-why things today are the way they are. Sometimes these are not fun topics-how we didn't go to the Philippines, how we left Fremont, why we moved churches, why mommy had surgery and many more. Sometimes these are fun topics-how we met, how our kids lowered each over the railing in our stairwell, how we raised our chickens, places we went together. There are so many stories where my kids have heard them so many times that they can finish them for me. "We will not hide them...we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord." God has taken us from place to place, and by telling the stories I give him credit and they see that. Maybe they will retell the stories to their kids and give God credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment