Thursday, August 10, 2023

Romans 10:5-15: In Shouting Distance of the Gospel

Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.” But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? 

The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” - Romans 10:5-15

Growing up, I guess I was always within shouting distance of the gospel. My mom didn't really care to go to church when I was growing up. She would allow us to go with friends or a neighbor and we went with my grandma and grandpa when we stayed at their house during the summer.  She didn't stop us but she didn't go herself or take us. 

So I heard about God, about Jesus and flannel-graph versions of all of the Bible stories. Yet there was enough in those years to convince me that I needed saving. I was having trouble being good. I still have trouble being good. I didn't really understand why I wasn't acting the way I wanted to, but I did understand at age 6 that Jesus could do something about it. 

"The same Lord is the Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him." I did. Even the limited amount I learned from age 6 was enough to point me in a different direction. I was still a strange kid who exasperated his mom and his teachers. I was still a kid who tried to be helpful, cried over his failures, fought with his brother and lied to his mom-all wrapped in one paradoxical package.

But it started because someone told me. I don't think I want to forcibly insert God into my conversations, but neither will I forcibly remove him. He is important enough that he will show up in my conversations, if I am honest about who he is to me. 

'Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.'  Some people have an advantage because they live where the word of God is close at hand, heard in off-hand comments and read in hotel room Bibles. But there are those for whom the road to God is longer-smuggled Bibles, hushed conversations, dreams from God-as Paul says, 'How can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?' 

The path to God is never a straight line.

No comments:

Post a Comment