Thursday, May 4, 2023

Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16: Live Up To Your Name!

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Keep me free from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge.

Into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, Lord, my faithful God. My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me.

Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love. - Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16

 It's rough having a reputation like God's. For someone to match him he must be righteous, quick, strong, safe, faithful, loving and reliable. The writer of the psalm knows these things about God and then asks God to protect the reputation derived from these--his own name--by rescuing him. "Live up to your name!", he pleads with God. Not "I'm your servant" or "I'll do whatever you ask" but "for the sake of your name lead and guide me and keep me safe from the trap that is set for me"

I think that (a) this shows an awareness of God alone being the one who decides when things will happen ("my times are in your hands") and (b) God is motivated by what motivates God. We don't have any leverage on God to twist his arm into doing what he wants. Instead the psalmist goes back to what God wants: that his character, works and reputation are on display. The psalmist basically says: let people see what kind of person-what kind of name you have-by helping out someone who is following after your dictates. Was God bound by the psalmist's words? No. He can do what he wants. But if it was the right time and the right way to point people to himself, then maybe it was the right time to save the psalmist. 

At some point, we have to do what Jesus did when he quoted this chapter from the cross, "Into your hands I commit my spirit." Do the right thing and leave the outcomes to God. There is wisdom in knowing when to ask God and knowing when to let God do his thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment