Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Psalm 40:1-10: Do You Check How Well You Worship or How Worthy God Is?

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.

Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord, who have no confidence in the proud or in those who worship idols. O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them.

You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings. Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand—you don’t require burnt offerings or sin offerings. Then I said, “Look, I have come. As is written about me in the Scriptures: I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart.”

I have told all your people about your justice. I have not been afraid to speak out, as you, O Lord, well know. I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart; I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power. I have told everyone in the great assembly of your unfailing love and faithfulness. - Psalm 40:1-10

Sacrifices and burnt offerings aren't a toll system. They were supposed to be an expression of the deep feelings of our heart: regret and longing and delight. The way people used them was trying to appease a God whose default expression was frown-always grumpy except in those few moments where he was grudgingly satisfied with how much we gave to him.

Instead God awaits the day when his wishes are our joy. When that comes from the changes he has wrought in our heart, it overflows. The natural result of the overflow of that joy and delight in God is praise. Worship not based on how adequate or plentiful our efforts and offerings (proud) are, but based on God's wonderful deeds. Since these often look the same from the outside, we can get away with a lot in front of other people. Since they are hard to distinguish, we wonder if genuineness is really worth aiming for. But the author of this psalm knows that God knows.



No comments:

Post a Comment