Saturday, April 22, 2017

Jeremiah 10:23-24: Lord, Change Me Gently

I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course. So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die. - Jeremiah 10:23-24 (NLT)
Since I was a younger man, I have remembered one request I that made to God: Lord, change me gently; don't break me. I wondered whether this was the coward's path to spiritual transformation; or a purgatory without epiphanies; or what God had intended when he set up the whole sanctification business in the first place for sinners like us.

Now I see that Jeremiah was wondering the same thing. He wants correction, but he wants to survive the process. The gentleness he refers to isn't ignoring or diminishing the core character issues, but emphasizes God's actions towards his children, as opposed to those who prey upon his children (see verses 25-26)[1] As the traditional Jewish definition of justice has it, "To each person what he deserves; to each one what is appropriate."[2]

Nearly 30 years later, I can say that I am both happy and frustrated by my prayer. Many of the same issues are still there. They don't go away; I combat them daily. But many are gone, replaced by the fruit of God's spirit. Would I change my prayer? I don't think so. I'm too afraid to try it the other way, but I'm also too afraid to stay the way I am. Thank God that he plans my course.

The one who calls, calls as to his son. I trust in that.
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:14

[1] The phrase "please be gentle" is the NLT's way of dealing with the interpretive question of the difference between "justice" that Jeremiah wants for himself (cf. "in justice", ESV, NASB) and the "anger" he wants for his enemies. "Gentle" tries to express this contrast in terms of control. Where as "gentleness" is "strength under control", the nations receive the "pouring out of wrath" in the following verses. But I think that the NIV's rendering "in due measure" captures the sense better. In this sense, Jeremiah is saying, in effect, my sins deserve fair punishment (as someone who loves God, but has failed him). This is in contrast with the nations (who do not know God and devour Israel), who deserve so much more.
[2] As cited in Joy At Work, Dennis W Bakke (2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment