Saturday, February 11, 2017

Hebrews 7:19: We'll Come, not Welcome

As I was sitting on the flight back to San Francisco, I prayed to make God welcome in the airplane with me. Then, with ironic insight, I realized that I should instead thank him for welcoming me. He was already there, and he was inviting me into his plan for that place and those people. We step into the stream that has been long flowing.

While I was trying to invite God into my daily life, he was inviting me into his kingdom plan. Without realizing it, I was changing my spiritual life, into a "Come, join me." But Jesus was saying, "Come, follow me!" on the path he has scouted out in advance (Eph. 2:10). My "Please, help me" to God during the day was really an attempt to re-orbit that day around me-a universe in which the significance of events was measured by their impact on me--a plan where he joins me.

It dawned on me that instead, I join him, not vice-versa. It is his banquet. It is his table that he has prepared. It is his presence that we come into. It is him calling. The Bible says, "But now we have confidence in a better hope, through which we draw near to God." (Heb. 7:19) Trust that God's hope for the day is better than mine. That God's table is better than mine. Trust that God's flight plan is better than mine.

Wherever I am, God is there. He has a plan for that moment; you can join (2 Tim. 2:21) and, by sharing his purpose, you are approaching God with confidence. "Come close to God, and God will come close to you." (James 4:8a)

No comments:

Post a Comment