Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hurry and the Promised Land


"God is not in any particular hurry to get us to the Promised Land." - Ruth Haley Barton, Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership
Truth. When the Israelites came to the banks of the Jordan River but grumbled and complained at the plan to cross over into Canaan, God let them wander for 40 more years, because he wanted his people's hearts and character to be ready for the blessing that he wanted to give.  When they changed their minds and insisted that they had learned their lesson (Numbers 14:40), he chased them away from the river.

Sometimes God has things for me to do, and I grumble, complain and hesitate. Rather than demanding compliance, he takes me on another loop around Mt. Sinai and brings me back to the same decision again. Again, I am asked to compare the desert of my circumstances with the blessings of his promise and choose whether I will trust Him. He is in no hurry. He will wait for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment