Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Will Make You Happy? (1 Corinthians 7)

29 What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
 
"If only I _____ I would be happy." Fill in the blank. If only I...
  • Was married.
  • Had a stable job.
  • Had a decent place to live.
  • Could eat 3 meals a day.
  • Pray 1 hour a day.
  • Could be sure of my retirement.
Whatever you place in that blank defines you, your pursuits, your frustrations and your mental state of mind. And anything other than God in that blank will leave you disappointed.

In the 7th chapter of Paul's first letter to the church at Corinth, Paul says, essentially, "If you can live without, live without. And if you can't, then go for it. Either way, don't lose your focus on God." Is it more distracting to be married or unmarried? Circumcised or uncircumcised. Free or not free. Or maybe it is the angst of choosing between the two.

Married, single or undecided can all take you away from God. Rich, poor or middle-class can all take you away from God. Stable job, no job, terrible job can all take you away from God. But they are not the issue. God is the issue. Anytime anything else becomes the issue, it has to go.

Today, we are fretting about something. I have guests coming over tomorrow. My front door doesn't lock. People at my job expect me to be a superstar. Each of those has the potential of derailing my life by claiming to be the ______.  Jesus, you are the only one big enough to fill my _____.

No comments:

Post a Comment