Monday, August 8, 2011

Ephesians 2:8-10: Make The Most Of My Rescued Life

The Wall Street Journal reported how the town of Rikuzentakata, Japan is recovering from the devastating tsunami by pushing through with their annual "fighting star" festival. Each year, for over 900 years, on the 7th of August, floats sponsorted by each of the town's four hamlets would come together and joust. Each float carries decorations made of bamboo branches and notes bearing the wishes of the townspeople.

But this year was different. The tsunami wiped out three of the four floats. The traditional route for the floats is lined with rubble. There are more wishes. One banner read, "We will not be defeated." Another note read, "I want Rukuzentakata to return to the way it was; a town overflowing with smiles."

The message that caught my attention, though, was the one that said: "I will strive to make the most of my rescued life."[1]

What will I do with my rescued life? I've been rescued by God. Rescued-a synonym for saved. Rescued from a wasted, self-focused, death-bound life. I was saved for a purpose--not on accident, but with gracious intent.

You did not save yourselves; it was a gift from God. It was not the result of your own efforts, so you cannot brag about it. God has made us what we are. In Christ Jesus, God made us to do good works, which God planned in advance for us to live our lives doing. - Ephesians 2:8b-10 (NCV)


God has granted me today for a reason. I don't know what it is yet. But there is a reason. How about you?

Pray: "God, you have rescued me for today. Help me make the most of it. Show me and strengthen me for that purpose today. Amen" What will God do? Here are some further places in the Bible that talk about it: Rom. 11:13, 2 Cor. 2:12, Gal. 6:10, Col. 4:5.

[1] The Wall Street Journal, 8/8/11, pg. 7

No comments:

Post a Comment