Monday, April 4, 2011

Ephesians 1:7: "In Him"

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. - Ephesians 1:7
In a passing aside in his book "Justification", N.T. Wright mentions that the phrase "in him" is the key to understanding the chapter 1 of Ephesians, where it is mentioned several times as the position of those who are saved. While Jesus uses similar language in John 15, there it is used to refer to fruitfulness and answered prayer, rather than salvation itself. Since that time, I have tried to pay more attention to this little two-word phrase, seemingly so insignificant in English.

I have to admit, I don't have a full grasp on this key idea and, surveying various theological materials, it seems to be a matter of some debate. But, I have learned a few things:
  1. My restored relationship with God is tied to this position. In Ephesians, it says that my purchase from the slavery to sin (redemption) and the wiping of the record of my sins (forgiveness) are tied directly to my position "in him."
  2. God's goodness flows to me because of my position. "In him...in accordance with the riches of God's grace." That is, I am only favored because I am in Christ.
In my mind, I picture this position as a sort of shelter or (to use an Old Testament phrase) "the shadow of his wings." Life flows through our connection with Jesus. In fact, Jesus himself said: "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them." (John 6:56) This graphic imagery shows the close ties that the phrase "in him" implies. We are so closely identified with Christ that "in him" we partake in the benefits of his blood. Not just covering our sin, but transforming within.

Once we are "in Him" we must "remain in Him." Jesus (in John 15) paints the ridiculous picture of a branch that might somehow strive to be separate from the vine. A sort of self-pruning! In contrast with this are those who "remain in" or "abide in" Jesus. If Jesus is the source of our life, then strengthening that relationship widens the conduit through which his goodness can be manifested in our goodness ('fruit') If we don't value that relationship, the connection shrivels, the conduit shrinks and the branch needs to be pruned.

Rejoice that you are God's dependent. Thank him for his life-giving, soul-changing influence in your life. Guard against envious thoughts that perceive fulfillment in a way other than closeness with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment