Sunday, October 10, 2010

Psalm 91: The 24/7 God

Today is Monday. Or I think it is. It is Monday morning, a quiet, pre-work Taipei time . But back at home, with my family, it is Sunday afternoon, a post-church, pre-AWANA time. Right now, we are a family in two worlds, with two different destinations.

Yesterday (their yesterday), Shannon got in some driving practice before her big driving test this next Wednesday (theirs, not mine). Normally, Tim would ride shotgun. But Helen went this time, because I was asleep (on a 747).  Normally, I would have been the one worrying about turn signals and looking over shoulders and brake lights. In the 24/7 world, there is always time for worry.

My boss caught up with me yesterday, but then wasn't sure whether it was my "Sunday" and if I was working. I try to keep a strict no-work period, but with the 16-hour time shift when you travel, its always a bit of a tricky. In the 24/7 world, there is never seems to be enough time for God.

Sometimes, sleep is not my friend. In the 24/7 world, there is the non-stop possibility of things going wrong. If awake, I could deal with it. If awake, I could solve it. If awake, I could intervene. But I'm not. So at some point, sleep becomes an exercise in trusting God.
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. - Psalm 91:5-6
In Psalm 95, it is clear that the author had bigger problems that I do. If he is worried about "A thousand may fall at [his] side/ten thousand at [his] right hand." (Ps. 91:7) then the stakes are just little bit higher for him than what I have to struggle with.

But the element of trust is the same, in my 24/7 world. 
"I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." - Psalm 91:2
Trust is a conscious decision to place your safety (in whatever form) into the hands of another. Many times, my frantic attempts to manage things and my inability to let go of them, leaves no room for God to work and certainly no room for trust.

In the Old Testament, this decision of trust is often described as taking shelter under another's (ie. God's) wings (cf. Ruth 2:12).
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. - Psalm 91:4 
So as my day begins, and my family's day is winding down, I am handing off control to the 24/7 God.

God, I set today in your hands. I place everyone who is valuable to me in your hands. I set myself in your hands. Please care. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment