Thursday, August 26, 2010

Honesty and the Psalms

D.A. Carson,  in his book The God Who Is There comments about how believers grow to appreciate the Psalms over the years because it resonates with their life experience. In my own reading of the Psalms over the past few months, I have developed a theory as to their enduring popularity: Honesty.

  1. They are honest about Who We Are.  The Psalms let us peek into the heart, where there is joy, anger, regret, sorry and amazement. The word 'I' is used prominently, demonstrating how intensely personal the relationship is between a person and God.
  2. They are honest about Life. Life isn't fair. We are messed up people, living among messed up people, trying to change a messed up world. No candy-coating.
  3. They are honest about God. Does he seem uncaring? The Psalms talk about it. Does he defend those who take shelter with Him? The Psalms talk about it. Is He angry about things? Does He laugh? Does He care? The Psalms talk about these, too.
The honesty of the Psalms is like the genuineness of many of the testimonies I have heard over the past weeks in our men's weekly meetings. These testimonies are a unique reflection of God's work in one person's life. The sharing, in turns stumbling and startling, showed me how to look at myself, my life and my God.
We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. - 1 John 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment